- Bar Association Texas
- Bar Association Belgium
- Business Degree, University of Houston, Texas, 1989.
- Juris Doctorate Law Degree, Baylor University Law School (Texas, USA), 1991.
- LL.M in EU Law from Deusto University, Bilbao, Spain, 1993.
- General Corporate Commercial
- Mergers and acquisitions throughout EMEA, including Antitrust
- Technology licenses enforceable under local and EU law
- Proprietary infringement protection and litigation and general IP law
- Securing strategic partners in mission-critical areas of R&D and commercialization
- Integrating acquired company into new management structures and delivering needed legal certainty
- Due diligence on investments and post acquisition clean up
- Daily general counseling of new companies on all ongoing commercial and legal needs, both on business issues and strategic issues throughout Europe, Mid-East, North Africa, and Asia Pacific
- Establishment, structuring and effective distribution and agency networks
- EU regulatory affairs, including product safety, packaging and waste recycling trademark usage, and environmental law
- Project management including legal details of plant expansion and closures as well as Greenfield developments
- EU Project funding and co-investment.
Mr. Casares served as EMEA General Counsel for Donaldson Company Inc., (1993-1998) a NYSE publicly traded 10,000 employee Fortune Company, and a leading worldwide provider of filtration systems and replacement parts since 1915, with responsibility for establishing expanding and managing key business development and commercial issues for approximately a two billion dollar industrial company in nine European countries, as well as aggressively expanding a Middle East and Africa presence. During his tenure as GC, Mr. Casares was also responsible for coordinating and managing mergers and acquisitions, addressing US-EU, import and export regulations for compliance under the Bureau of Export Administration, the Department of Commerce, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the Department of the Treasury.
After founding First Law International, through joint venture agreements with best-in-class, mid-tier law firms in over twenty countries in Europe, Mid-East, and Asia Pacific (FLI NET™), Mr. Casares has been responsible for managing cross-border work for a number of US Multinational Companies requiring legal support including Franklin Covey, Micromuse, Adaptec, Kinetics, Magma Design, Vital Networks, NATCO and others. Through Mr. Casares' cutting-edge vision, he designed the FLI WebTool™, a powerful resource created by general counsels for the daily use of a general and senior corporate counsel as well as executive management, which enables clients world-wide to direct their work-in-progress, real time across a variety of time zones while tracking the budgets spent on legal support worldwide.
Mr. Casares has been residing in Brussels for the last 20 years, where he has been and continues to be an active member of the community.